After School Teacher – Study Hall
Children’s Day School (CDS) in San Francisco seeks a dynamic teacher for the after school program. Reporting to the Extended Program Director, the teacher is responsible for leading study hall for middle school students. Study hall is one hour each day and responsibilities include maintaining a quiet and studious atmosphere, offering help with homework and communicating with day teachers.
To learn more about CDS, visit our website at www.cds-sf.org.
CDS is located on a beautiful, secluded half-acre in the Mission near Dolores Park. Our after school program employs the use of indoor classrooms, environmental ed. kitchen, woodchips area and climbing structure, farm and garden (featuring four chickens and two sheep!), and a play yard among the largest of independent schools in the city.
Orientation and program planning begins August 21 and the position runs until the close of school in mid-June 2015. Daily schedule is 2:30-6 pm Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and 2:00-6 pm on Wednesdays when we have our team meetings. Employment (often full-time) during summer program and vacation camps is optional as well.
2:30 – 3:45 Fresh Air Time: Students are picked up in classrooms, signed into after school, provided snack and given supervised free play on the yard.
3:45 – 4:45 First Hour: Students in K-4 choose from a daily menu of clubs led by after school teachers. Middle school students attend Study Hall at our Middle school building
4:45 – 5:45 Second Hour: Students choose between additional clubs, supervised free play or Fun Hall. Middle school students choose between free time and additional Study Hall.
5:45 – 6:00 Chores: Yard cleanup. Putting away the sheep and chickens. Closing down computers and locking up.
Most clubs run twice a week, Monday and Wednesday or Tuesday and Thursday. They typically last for two or so months before we change the menu and introduce something new.
• Team: Collaborate, inspire, support, problem-solve and communicate with after school team members and the school day teachers.
• Activities: Lead a section of Study Hall by maintaining a quiet, focused group of middle school students and support their studying and homework completion.
• Children: Provide a safe physical and emotional environment for all students. Encourage students to take initiative to solve problems. Help students think, investigate, ask questions and laugh. Strive to meet each student’s individual needs.
• Families: Collaborate with families toward their child’s success.
The successful candidate will:
• Have experience teaching or leading youth activities.
• Demonstrate the ability to take initiative, work passionately and joyfully, and collaborate effectively with colleagues, students and parents.
• Model behavior and language that supports our mission and our program.
• Display excellent rapport with children and families.
• Display excellent classroom management.
• Express the desire and ability to take on increasing responsibility in the classroom and the CDS community, and to participate generously.
• Display a passion for learning and a commitment to personal-professional growth.
• Demonstrate excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Work effectively with children, families, and staff of diverse backgrounds and family structures.
• Communicate and problem-solve with the school day teaching staff about students and families.
• Be proficient in technology: email, word processing, photos, etc.
This is an excellent position for individuals interested in exploring entrance into the education field, currently attending college or making a career change.
$12-$18/hr depending on education and experience. 18 hours/week.
CDS is a racially and ethnically diverse community and we seek the same in our faculty and staff.
Send resume, cover letter and names of 3 references. Resumes pasted into email, not attached, preferred.
Extended Program Director
Children's Day School
333 Dolores Street
San Francisco, CA 94110
(415) 861-5419 (fax)